Our Master Plan
Building Our Future: Our Master Plan
"Now, therefore, you are...saints and members of the household of God,
having been built on the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Jesus Christ
himself being the chief cornerstone..." --Ephesians 2:19-20
Since it was founded in 1883, St. Paul United Church of Christ has built three different church buildings on the same Goddard Road site. Our church's present sanctuary was constructed in 1948. A Christian education wing and a large commercial-sized kitchen were respectively added in 1955 and 1971. Our present building has served us well. But in recent years the need to expand it has become more and more apparent. Frankly, we expect more space and more convenience today than we did a couple of generations ago, both when it comes to our own homes and our public buildings. Right now every room of our church has to serve multiple purposes. It is often difficult to find appropriate space for the programs and activities we would like to host as a part of our ministry together in Christ.
For all of these reasons, a study was undertaken several years ago to assess our church needs, using focus groups to identify our hopes and concerns. In 2003 an even more extensive congregational survey was also conducted by the Timothy Group, a professional consulting firm. Both the original study and subsequent survey indicated our church's readiness for a building project.
Consequently, an architectural firm, Harold A. Fisher Associates, was hired to prepare a comprehensive master plan for both short-term and long-term building expansion. The finished multi-phase master plan calls for our present red-brick Colonial Revival-style church to be largely retained as it is. But additions are to be built at the rear of our present church building, as well as along the east and west sides of our sanctuary.
The building expansion will include:
(a) a new activity center, complete with a larger stage and storage areas for tables and chairs,
(b) the redevelopment of the current fellowship hall into a double-story structure, providing upstairs Christian education classrooms and downstairs conference and office space;
(c) an expanded kitchen pantry,
(d) a reconfigured west lobby including an indoor wheelchair ramp, multi-story elevator, and lavatories,
(e) a narthex "family room" with attached lavatory for use by parents with infants, and
(f) additional narthex area meeting space for participants in weddings and funerals. The new additions would be fully airconditioned for summer use. Air-conditioning would also be installed for the existing church sanctuary.
The congregation's full support will be needed to make the dream of an expanded facility in accordance with the master plan a reality. As disciples of Jesus Christ, we are all part of God's household. May we build a "house" suitable to get God's work done."